Monday, June 30, 2008

Great Weekend

What a great weekend! We went to Tulsa for a family reunion. It was so great to see all of Seth's aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. I think I meet new people in the Holestine family each time we go! Seth, Abby, and I left around 7pm on Friday night and got to our hotel at around 1am. Seth Robert rode down earlier in the day with his PaPa, Aunt Alissa, Claire, and Lawson. Abby did really well in the car. She was awake until about 10pm which is really late for her, but she just played and talked and ate Pringles.

On Saturday night we went out to dinner...all 50 or so of us. We had several tables pushed together in and L shape and had (like I said) about 50 of us at those tables. It was very noisy and I never know how well Abby will hear in those situations. We were sitting across the table from Aunt Linda and Aunt Nan. They were talking to Abby and I wasn't sure she was hearing them or not. Aunt Nan starting singing "I Love You" to Abby. Over and over she would say in a sing-song voice "I Love You". Abby was just smiling and loving the attention, then out of nowhere Abby says "I wub oo". I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT. Here we were in this very noisy environment, Abby has only one hearing aid in right now, Aunt Nan was not talking loudly to her, just in a normal voice and not only did Abby hear her, she repeated what she was saying. I am just amazed at what that girl can do with those hearing aids. It is truly unbelievable that with her level of deafness, she is doing so well.

Ok, so we also followed up with Dr Clary last week. He said he is really happy with how everything is looking. Abby is only taking the antibiotic now and no pain medication. She will keep taking the antibiotic until end of the day on Tuesday and then will no longer take it unless she starts getting a cold or runny nose. We have to make sure she doesn't get any ear infections while everything is still healing.

1 comment: