Thursday, January 14, 2010

A Brand New Year

When I created this blog, the sole purpose was to keep friends and family updated on Abby's Cochlear Implant Surgery and the progress she made following that surgery. Later, it turned into a Family blog, but if you think about it raising a child with a disability is a family process right? Actually, raising any child with or without a disability is a family process. My goal this year is to be much better at keeping this blog up to date, and to take the time to celebrate the successes that Seth, Abby, and our family have throughout the year.

So...here goes....

Seth Robert is half-way through kindergarten. How he got to be 5 1/2 years old so fast is completely beyond me. I love seeing him grow and I love the sweet heart and spirit that he has. He is very active and hard to get to sit or stand still at times, but he has one of the sweetest hearts of anyone I know. Seth is always thinking about ways to help people. He loves to give, he loves to help, and he loves being a blessing to anyone and everyone. He is beginning to ask some very deep questions and challenges his dad and I to look deeper to find answers to those questions at times. My prayer is that his heart will always stay so tender and he will continue to love others so much. Seth is also beginning to read, tell time, and do addition. It is so incredible to watch my baby boy turn into a big boy.

Abby is half-way through her first year of Preschool and is at 18 months post Implant surgery. She is getting so big. Hard to believe my baby is almost 4. Abby works so hard. So many times I feel so sorry for her having to start school at such a young age, and having to work so hard just to do what the rest of us picked up by mere observation (speak and listen). On the other hand, I am so incredibly proud of her and so thankful for the determined spirit that God has given her which pushes her to succeed. I'm also very thankful for the resources that are available to her and the progress she has made in such a short time. I will try to be more diligent in posting about the specific milestones that she accomplishes.

Seth (big) - Seth is turning 30 this month! I'm very excited about this because we will be in the same decade again, well at least for a few years :) He is an incredible husband and dad and I appreciate so much how involved he is with the kids. He has taken on some really large home improvement projects this year, but when do we not have home improvement projects going on around our house?

Me - well, not much to say here. I work, I clean, take care of the kids, do laundry : ) In all seriousness, I'm hoping this will be the year to return to my 'normal' self. Ever since having the kids my life has become so busy that I have kind of forgotten to really take time for myself. Not in a selfish way, but in a 'keeping my sanity' way. I joined a program at the YMCA starting this year in which I work out with a training 3 hours a week. I cannot believe in just 1 1/2 weeks how much better I feel. I pray for some of the determination my sweet daughter has so I keep up with this : )

OK, so I promise to keep this blog updated more regularly. And, I will post pictures. I promise!!

Love to all,
Hannah

1 comment:

Sarah said...

What a great post! Seth and Abby are such sweet kids. And when I read about Abby turning 4, I realized Andrew too will soon be 4. It seems like Seth was just 2 and Abby & Andrew were babies! You guys are a great family and all very sweet people...we are blessed to be your friends! Good luck on your YMCA program! Sounds so fun!